Re: QEMU

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 16:13:50 +0100
Andrew Wood <andrewjameswood@ymail.com> wrote:

> Can someone please help me configure QEMU on Jessie as the instructions
> on the Wiki seem to not apply. The qemu command does not exist in
> /usr/bin there are dozens of platform specific ones like /usr/bin/qemu-i386
>   but these dont seem to accept the same args.

I assume you meant https://wiki.debian.org/QEMU. So, for example:

qemu -hda debian.img -cdrom debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso -boot
d -m 256

translated to the language of current stable, means:

qemu-system-x86_64 -hda debian.img -cdrom \
debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso -boot d -m 256

You may also need to add your user to "kvm" group.

> Also why has qemu-launcher been removed from Jessie but it was in Wheezy
> and its in testing?

https://packages.qa.debian.org/q/qemu-launcher/news/20140802T163917Z.html
says:

Hint: <http://release.debian.org/britney/hints/auto-removals>
    Bug #753669: qemu-launcher: /usr/bin/qemu does not exist any more

Basically, qemu-launcher merely run "qemu" with certain arguments,
which ceased to work once Debian stopped providing "/usr/bin/qemu"
executable. Which rendered the whole "qemu-launcher" unusable, and
since the maintainer was not able to fix the package - it was
rightfully removed from Jessie before the release.
The bug is still open, and as far as I can tell, the problem of this
package won't fix itself.

Reco