Re: QEMU

Hi,

Andrew Wood wrote:
> there are dozens of platform specific ones like /usr/bin/qemu-i386
> but these dont seem to accept the same args.

I use for a virtual Debian this script "start_debian_amd64":

  #!/bin/sh
  qemu-system-x86_64 \
     -enable-kvm \
     -m 512 \
     -net nic \
     -net user,hostfwd=tcp::4321-:22 \
     -hda /data/vm/debian_amd64.qemu \
     "$@"

For installation i created the disk
  qemu-img create /data/vm/debian_amd64.qemu 8G
and ran the script with -cdrom
  start_debian_amd64 -cdrom debian-8.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso -boot d

Normally i run it headless (and log in via ssh -p 4321 my_user@localhost):
  start_debian_amd64 -nographic

> why has qemu-launcher been removed from Jessie but it was in Wheezy and
> its in testing?

Obviously because of the same difficulties which you experience.
See
  https://packages.qa.debian.org/q/qemu-launcher.html
  https://packages.qa.debian.org/q/qemu-launcher/news/20140802T163917Z.html
It does not get promoted to "testing" any more because of

Have a nice day :)

Thomas