Re: How to Rezize Partition on LVM

ray a écrit :
> I would like to resize the /home partition but it is mounted, and when
> umount is run, it errors with 'busy'.
>
> I used guided partitioning and selected the whole drive with multiple
> partitions.  The /home now takes up 420 GB.  I would like to reduce that
> to 20 GB to make room for another partition.

Are you talking about plain partitions or LVM logical volumes ? In the
subject you mentionned LVM, but in the body you mention only partitions.
Regarding your question, this is not the same at all.

It is too late now, but here is my advice for future installations using
LVM : if you don't plan to use btrfs, don't allocate all the space to
the logical volumes, leave some free space for future allocation.
Growing an ext2/3/4 filesystem is easy and can be done online (without
unmounting it). However online shrinking is only supported with a btrfs
filesystem. Some filesystems such as XFS don't even allow offline shrinking.

/home can be unmounted only when no process uses it. In practice it
means that you cannot be logged in as a regular user (with its home
directory in /home) but directly as root, without using 'su' or 'sudo'.
In my experience it is not necessary to boot in single user mode or from
another system. Just log in as root in a tty console.