Re: Google Chrome

Charles Chambers:

> I just had google-chrome-stable update to Version 46.0.2490.71-1 via System
> update.

Google Chrome is not available from Debian. You probably installed a
Chrome package that automatically added Google repositories so that
Chrome can be updated using apt.

> There's an open bug I reported to Google on this exact version.  I
> checked bugs.debian.org and find that google-chrome-stable has no package
> maintainer within the Debian organization to which bugs are reported.

There is no google-chrome-stable package in Debian. Google Chrome is
considered (at least) unfree by Debian and that's why Debian will not
distribute it. (I am not even sure whether anybody except Google is
allowed to distribute Chrome.)

> The open bug (#544160) is here:
>
> Google bug report <https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=544160&colspec=ID%20Pri%20M%20Stars%20ReleaseBlock%20Cr%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20OS%20Modified&start=300>
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1)  How do I find and turn off the repository that google-chrome-stable is
> coming from so that it doesn't update until Google is able to fix the bug?
> I REALLY like and use Chrome heavily.

You probably have a file like google-chrome.list in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/. Edit it to your liking.

> 2)  Is there anyone to report this to?

Only Google.

J.
--
I no longer believe my life will be long, happy, interesting or fulfilled
[Agree]   [Disagree]