Re: smartphone forum for the technically-oriented

On Sun, October 18, 2015 9:39 am, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> How small is "small"?

My intent is to avoid the necessity of getting a smartphone simply to have
Internet access on the road.

And though it would be nice ("icing on the cake") to be able to use
GoogleEarth when I am exploring out in a rural area, the primary need is
simply to access web sites in order to find addresses and telephone
numbers.  And it would be nice to be able to check e-mail while on an
all-day excursion, or road flooding reports during monsoon season.

Recently I was across town and running late to keep an appointment when I
discovered that I did not have the card on which I wrote the address and
phone number.  In such a case, a flip-open cellular is not of much help.
However, the flip phone did allow me to reach a friend who searched on the
Internet and found the address and phone number.

So by "small" I mean small enough to be used without getting out of the
car (in order to set the machine on the hood or trunk).  And though many
smartphone users (stupidly) browse while driving, I do not need a computer
which is small enough to use while the car is in motion. That said, even a
display the size of the tiny display of a smartphone is adequate.

Russ