Re: smartphone forum for the technically-oriented

Hi,

Okay, well I think *you* are on the right track; many people will give
away waaayyyyy too much data using their mobile spy machines ;-)
  - just ask Richard Stallman for one.

On 17/10/2015 12:38 PM, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> On Fri, October 16, 2015 8:02 pm, dean wrote:
>> What kind of smart phone?
>
> That is what I wish to learn.

My view is that the best you can do is get a device that supports all
the telephone network bands that you expect might be useful to you.
That device should then serve as a WiFi hotspot which you secure
appropriately.  Perhaps you want a router that takes a more "dumb" USB
type dongle for the modem; perhaps like a Netgear WNDR-3700 running
openwrt or similar

http://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/downloads.html

> If samsung televisions have a microphone, what surveillance should
> we expect of a samsung smartphone which has both microphone and
> camera? Instinctively, I distrust microsoft and apple.  Besides,
> with apple you are paying also for a status symbol.  And is
> microsoft capable of writing better software for a phone than it
> writes for a desktop?
>
> I am looking for guidance as to which smartphones provide
> reasonable privacy and security.  Of course, reliability and
> battery life are very important.

Too true.  Smartphones and Smart TVs are, well, sometimes much too
smart to use safely if you want privacy and security.  Xbox Kinnect?
Everyone wants their devices to be spy capable... why???? Sure there
are advantages, but I don't think they outweigh the cons.

Of course, whatever device you use to get Internet access, it's
location will be given away by the telco that provides the Internet
service at the very least.

> An article I saw a week or so ago said that samsung has one of the
> best antenna systems, because it is designed to direct
> radio-frequency energy away from the head of the user.

Reference?

>> If its android there are apps that can run debian in a chroot eg
>> lildebi and if you want the most from your phone I recommend
>> installing cyanogenmod - that gives you a lot more control over
>> your phone.
>
> Modifying the operating systim is a realm with which I am not
> familiar, and likely do not have sufficient time to explore.

You my want to reconsider, perhaps a download of a custom ROM,
something that protects your privacy and security better than a stock RO
M.

> What I thought might be a good alternative to a smart phone would
> be to use my old flip-open phone for voice calls and get a
> cellular modem which can interface with the ethernet port or usb
> port of a laptop or tablet. Then if I can find a computer which is
> much less bulky than the typical laptop, I could run Debian on that
> for Internet access on the road.  But a typical laptop is entirely
> too big to be used in a car.

There are plenty of 3G/4G/LTE type routers around, it then matters
what OS they run and what ports are available as well as how good are
the radios.

I've long considered that the best option for a "mobile" phone would
be to have a device that ONLY operates as a WiFi enabled device,
perhaps bluetooth as well, but the range should definitely be very
short.  Use a separate unit for telco signal -- and that talks only to
your devices, including the WiFi only phone (like your flip-phone
idea), but with even less risk of exposure.  You may even use an
ordinary cordless VoIP device -- one that uses WiFi to connect to the
Internet via the router, you can port phone numbers to VoIP services
... it may depend on the number you want to port though, it needs to
be "port-able".

Kind Regards
AndrewM