Re: smartphone forum for the technically-oriented

On Fri, October 16, 2015 8:02 pm, dean wrote:
> What kind of smart phone?

That is what I wish to learn.

If samsung televisions have a microphone, what surveillance should we
expect of a samsung smartphone which has both microphone and camera?
Instinctively, I distrust microsoft and apple.  Besides, with apple you
are paying also for a status symbol.  And is microsoft capable of writing
better software for a phone than it writes for a desktop?

I am looking for guidance as to which smartphones provide reasonable
privacy and security.  Of course, reliability and battery life are very
important.

An article I saw a week or so ago said that samsung has one of the best
antenna systems, because it is designed to direct radio-frequency energy
away from the head of the user.

> If its android there are apps that can run debian in a chroot
> eg lildebi and if you want the most from your phone I recommend
> installing cyanogenmod - that gives you a lot more control over
> your phone.

Modifying the operating systim is a realm with which I am not familiar,
and likely do not have sufficient time to explore.

What I thought might be a good alternative to a smart phone would be to
use my old flip-open phone for voice calls and get a cellular modem which
can interface with the ethernet port or usb port of a laptop or tablet.
Then if I can find a computer which is much less bulky than the typical
laptop, I could run Debian on that for Internet access on the road.  But a
typical laptop is entirely too big to be used in a car.

Russ