Re: Extract substring from cat

On 10/16/15, Jonathan <winelauncher.jonathan@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 14:15:46 +0200
> "Alfred Charles Stockton" <alf@devacs.za.net> wrote:
>
>> Now what I would like to do is to only print the substring "Debian
>> GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)" from the 1st line, preferably in bash.
>>
>> Please tell me how I should go about this?
>
> lsb_release -ds
> from lsb-release package.

I've been partially playing along with this thread as it has evolved.
I received 2 slightly different outputs regarding this latest..

$ lsb_release -ds
$ Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)

and...

$ cat /etc/*-release
$ PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux stretch/sid"

Unstable is certainly Sid's first, middle, and last name, grin.
Stretch nicely defines where Sid is in a release cycle of the
moment..... a nice little time stamp of sorts.... ish. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *