Re: make system boot straight to browser connection

Quoting Richard Owlett (rowlett@cloud85.net):
> David Wright wrote:
> >Quoting Lisi Reisz (lisi.reisz@gmail.com):
> >>
> >>Surely, if you have to make a choice it is no longer *auto*login?
> >
> >Were I to set up a machine at home to autologin, I would not want it
> >to login as me, nor root, nor anonymous. I would configure a user
> >called, say, "kiosk" and that would be my "choice of which user login
> >to auto-login as."
> >
> >IOW no choice has to be made each time you actually power-up the machine.
>
> How
>   Squeeze with Gnome2?
>   Jessie with Mate?
>
> The user name would be myexperiments. It would have minimal set of
> privileges.

I don't know. I don't really understand your original question. It
said "How to do an autologin? In a DE independent way?"
Now when people ask questions like that, I puzzle over the meaning
of DE. To me, DE says Desktop Environment. I don't run a DE. I run X
with a window manager, fvwm. And does "DE independent" mean "works
regardless of which DE you use", or "works without a DE"?

Now if you mean to start X, then I thought that was what nodm was for.
"This package prepares the system to automatically start an X session
at system boot."

If you mean to just have a VC autologin VC, then I think that is what
this page is all about:
Obviously this is only a jessie solution, if solution it is, because
it uses systemd. (Well, it might work on wheezy if one had taken the
systemd option.)

Can't remember much about squeezy.

I'm not the best person to ask; my comment was only to try to clarify
the word "choice".

Cheers,
David.