Re: systemd alternative for Jessie?

You say potato, I say, potato, ...

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Mart van de Wege <mvdwege@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex Moonshine <moonshine@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 07:49:08 -0500
>> Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What has the end-user, with a single machine, gained today from
>>> the adoption of systemd?
>>
>> Speaking for myself:
>> 1. It took me an hour of googling to write my own working init script.

It takes me varying amounts of time, depending on how much I remember
of the last time I did a particular type of script on a particular OS.

>> It takes me 10 minutes to write my own systemd unit.

For me, systemd only adds one more layer of complexity.

>> 2. Boot times improved.

Since I don't force my file systems to be unified, boot times
sometimes shoot to near infinity. (The dreaded ctrl-d, which the
systemd cabal punted on. At least, now I know not to play with that.)

> Autostarting programs on login is a lot simpler now, and unified across

Simplified according to whose definition of simple?

Not mine.

> desktop environments; I'm no longer dependent on the capabilities of the
> session manager, and I can even autostart programs I need when logging in
> on the console.

My guess is that you are now dependent, not only on the session
manager, but on systemd's handling the sesion manager properly as your
proxy. Which is just fine for you, as long as the systemd cabal is
channelling your techniques. (Or is it, as long as you are cannelling
their current favorite techniques?)

> In my case, having a running emacs server is indispensable, so I wrote a
> systemd user service unit.

emacs.

:)

I gave up trying to channel RMS and his buddies on
control-esc-whatever sequences. I understand that the control key is
effectively a pseudo-command-mode switch, but I'm comfortable with not
having to hold the switch down. (esc-colon-command).

And I don't have emacs doing shell stuff for me. I guess I'm more
comfortable with using more mnemonic names for my one-offs (perl,
python, gforth, whatever I've been playing with recently when the
shell itself isn't enough.)

Puh-taw-toe, puh-tay-toe.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html