Re: Putting apt-listchanges and dpkg output in mail sent by unattended-upgrades

Quoting moxalt (moxalt@riseup.net):
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 19:22:55 +0200, Ondřej Grover <ondrej.grover@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > It wouldn't be an overkill if there was a simple way to manage a local
> > repository and packages with custom modifications. I have looked around and
> > it didn't seem that straight-forward. Is there some helper tool perhaps?
>
> Even if you were able to manage a local repository of some sort, the only way
> you would be able to prevent your custom .debs from being overwritten is by
> assigning them really high version numbers so that they are never overwritten
> by updates. Of course, you wouldn't be able to get official Debian updates that
> way, which could cause problems later. The same is true if you just made a
> modified standalone .deb.

You can of course leave the version number alone (to indicate the base
version of your customisations) and just use a higher epoch value on
your package to protect it from being overwritten. This would also
allow you to set up an alert from, say, cron if your version number
(without epoch) didn't match the (new) version available from Debian,
so you would know it was about time to check/rerun your customisations.

> You have two options- either make a custom package once and for all (but never
> get updates) or edit it locally and backup your edits so that you can restore
> them after updates. I would take the second option. It's not as if
> apt-listchanges and dpkg get updated every day- and when they do it's just a
> simple copy-paste job from your backed up script.

Cheers,
David.