Re: Putting apt-listchanges and dpkg output in mail sent by unattended-upgrades

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 19:22:55 +0200, Ondřej Grover <ondrej.grover@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > The most "Debian-proper" way? I'm not really sure- I would edit the script
> > myself and just keep that as the local version. The only problem is that
> > newer
> > versions of the package would probably overwrite it- but they may offer a
> > 'local version of config' menu like GRUB and libpolkit do.
>
> That happens for conffiles which are files under /etc or are listed in
> debian/conffiles in the deb archive. So that would again mean I'd have to
> modify the package
>
> > Rolling your own package seems a bit overkill for what you're trying to do.
> >
> It wouldn't be an overkill if there was a simple way to manage a local
> repository and packages with custom modifications. I have looked around and
> it didn't seem that straight-forward. Is there some helper tool perhaps?

Even if you were able to manage a local repository of some sort, the only way
you would be able to prevent your custom .debs from being overwritten is by
assigning them really high version numbers so that they are never overwritten
by updates. Of course, you wouldn't be able to get official Debian updates that
way, which could cause problems later. The same is true if you just made a
modified standalone .deb.

You have two options- either make a custom package once and for all (but never
get updates) or edit it locally and backup your edits so that you can restore
them after updates. I would take the second option. It's not as if
apt-listchanges and dpkg get updated every day- and when they do it's just a
simple copy-paste job from your backed up script.