Re: make system boot straight to browser connection

On Thu 15 Oct 2015 at 03:29:38 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Richard Owlett wrote:
> >[snip]
> >
> >How to do an autologin? In a DE independent way?
> >
> >http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=autologin&apropos=1
> >gave no relevant links.
> >
> >A Google search gave only decade old or DE related links.
> >
> >I currently use Mate, but exploring other desktops(avoiding Gnome
> >3!!!;}.
> >I'd like something similar to autoexec.bat from DOS/CPM days.
>
> I received two suggestions, neither suitable:
>   1. nodm was recommended by the ??? who has publicly stated that he ignores
>      how I phrase my questions.

Is this an in depth technical analysis of the unsuitability of nodm or a
rewriting of history? :)

From

 http://www.enricozini.org/sw/nodm/

  nodm is an automatic display manager which automatically starts an
  X session at system boot. It is meant for devices like smartphones,
  but can be used on a regular computer as well, if the security
  implications are acceptable.

>   2. runt was also suggested. I chased down a series of links but didn't see
>      how to apply it to my preferences.
>
> Prior to my post I had done a web search for "autologin". I did another with
> [I assume] slightly different criteria. I suspect "DE independence" may not
> be achievable.

Your suspicions are unfounded.