Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

On 15/10/2015 06:34, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
Yesterday in the office of my associate, I tried without success to
install a HP LaserJet 2100TN in a wired local area network (LAN)
consisting of nothing but a i386 running Windows 8, a modem (which I think
also is router) and an ethernet switch.

Through Control Panel, I learned that the computer had ip address
192.168.100.3.  The HP2100 printed a configuration report which indicated
an ip address of 192.168.1.201.

It occurred to me to use telnet to access the printer and reconfigure the
ip address.  But the Windows command prompt did not understand "telnet".

with most laser printers you can access their control interface with a browser, just connect your laptop directly to it and point your browser at the address the printer gives, this is assuming it does not have a front panel you can access, I dont off hand know the 2100. You will need to adjust the subnet on your laptop of course, but that is all.

Thereupon I connected directly to the printer a laptop running Jessie
(with Xfce desktop), using an ethernet cable.  NetworkManager Applet
(0.9.10.0) did not make a connection.

I though that perhaps a "cross-over" ethernet cable might be required, so
I placed an ethernet switch and two "straight" cables between the laptop
and the printer; but again NetworkManager Applet (0.9.10.0) failed to make
a connection.

So first of all I would like to know whether it is possible to connect a
computer directly to a printer without a router to manage the connection.

And then I would like to know the proper way to reconfigure this printer.
If the "modem" indeed has an internal router with DHCP server, then I
think that the printer should utilize DHCP.

At the moment I am ignorant concerning the modem and/or router, because
they are hidden behind desks and boxes, so that visual inspection is going
to necessitate moving things in the office, which my associate is not
going to enjoy.

Russ