Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

On Thu, October 15, 2015 2:33 am, Martin Smith wrote:
> with most laser printers you can access their control interface with a
> browser, just connect your laptop directly to it and point your browser at
> the address the printer gives, this is assuming it does not have a front
> panel you can access, I dont off hand know the 2100. You will need to
> adjust the subnet on your laptop of course, but that is all.

No, the hp2100tn has no panel; only a pair of buttons and a few LEDs.

And the 2100 may be a little old to have a web administrative interface.
I did, after much searching, finally find some information regarding
changing parameters using telnet.

Using the browser also occurred to me.  But the little icon of the
NetworkManager Applet kept spinning, so no connection was made.

And I tried to create a new network connection in NetworkManager Applet,
using 192.168.100.x, but at that point it was getting too late in a long
day for me to think clearly.

So I am thinking now that my real need is to learn enough about
NetworkManager Applet that I can create a new network connection.

Russ