Re: systemd alternative for Jessie?

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 00:55:36 -0700
tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:

> i read the piece on installing  without systemd. i get the feeling
> that the bottom line of it is: good luck. or am i missing something?

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
this should do the trick for you. Or Devuan.

> who  decided that Debian shd be locked to systemd?

Technical Committee. There was a lot of drama, mind you.

> what did they do to poll the views of the user community on the
> question?

What do you imagine they could do?

> is it true that Red Hat had a major influence on the Debian decision
> makers?

Is it true that people like to invent conspiracy theories about
something they know nothing about?

> from what i've read so far, systemd is still very much in beta at
> best. wd people on this list agree with that?

Try it for yourself. It won't bite you or infect you with AIDS. Then
decide if it is "pretty much beta". I've been using systemd for >2
years on Sid and I'm happy with it.

--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Best wishes,
Alex S.