Re: print .tex or .dvi or .ps from Windows

On 10/13/2015 10:34 AM, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> On Tue, October 13, 2015 7:26 am, Joseph Loo wrote:
>> have you tried installing
>> ghostscript on your windows machine? It will convert ps and possibly pdf to
>> pcl or some other printers they have drivers for.
>
> Ghostscript is one of the first solutions which occurred to me.  I found a
> HOWTO, but it was too complex to give to my associate to follow.
>
> And I found an article written about ten years ago which discussed the
> problem of getting high-quality output when converting Postscript; much
> depends upon the fonts used (scalable versus bit-mapped).  The discussion
> was a bit deep, and, all things considered, it appeared to me that PDF
> might be a better solution for my associate.  Also, most people know how
> to read a PDF document, but may have difficulty sending a Postscript
> document to the virtual Ghostscript printer; I myself am not sure how it
> is done in Windows.
>
> Russ

What you need is to down load ghostview at the same time. Use this gui
application to open the ps file. Have the program print the file. It can
use the default window drivers to print. I use to do this a lot but to
tell you the truth, it has been many years since getting it.

The ghostscrpt program will download 23 basic fonts for the different
printers. If you are using word, make sure the fonts embedded in the ps
files. You can print many different files with the full accuracy of the
ps file.

--
Joseph Loo
jloo@acm.org