Re: print .tex or .dvi or .ps from Windows

On Tue 13 Oct 2015 at 13:12:46 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 October 2015 04:57:07 rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> > On Mon, October 12, 2015 9:16 pm, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > > Use PDF instead of PS. That's the fool-proof method, and you get the
> > > advantages of the PDF specification.
> > >
> > > [It's also probably time to move away from pdflatex to xelatex or
> > > some other LaTeX engine with real utf8 support.]
> >
> > Thanks for bringing up the utf8 issue; I keep forgetting about it.
> >
> > But is the PDF file I produce with whatever is in Jessie likely to be
> > readable by Windows XP or Vista?  I ask this because I have an older HP
> > laserjet which cannot decipher Postscript Level 3.
>
> Surely the whole point of .pdf is that it is an open standard which
> is "universal"?  And it has traditionally been easier to make use of from
> Windows than from Linux.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format

Try downloading this document and reading it with mupdf (or a Linux
viewer of your choice).

  wget https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/373943/nrl1i.pdf

There may be an ISO standard for a PDF but not all PDF's conform to the
standard. Don't forget: standards are good; everyone can have one. :)

I have a clear recollection of your having met this and asking about it
on debian-user.