Re: a little jessie whinage

Seeker <seeker5528@comcast.net> writes:

> On 10/12/2015 12:31 AM, Glenn English wrote:
>>
>> On my laptop, there's a static nameserver address used by
>> eth0. wlan0 uses that too, when it can. But, IIRC, it's smart enough
>> to go looking around if the local network is gone.
>>

> If you set up your network interface in '/etc/network/interfaces'
> resolvconf should pick up the nameserver
>  settings from the 'dns-nameservers' line of the config and you can
> stop worrying about ham-fisted software
> scribbling over your settings.
>
> That *is* the reason resolvconf was created. :-)
>
> By default network manager should see that an interface is set up in
> the interfaces file and not mess with it.

And it does behave that way. The NM/resolvconf combo ought to work fine,
and only overwrite resolv.conf because you ask it to (for example, when
switching networks). I've been running it for several years now, and the
only trouble I've had is with the interface between resolvconf and the
local bind instance I run as caching nameserver and authoritative slave
for my VPN.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.