Re: a little jessie whinage

On 10/12/2015 12:31 AM, Glenn English wrote:
On Oct 11, 2015, at 10:45 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

I thought the OP was about a laptop.
It was. I put Jessie on my laptop to see what it was like. It's running Wheezy now. And all my troubles with Jessie are gone.

How do you set a static address
for nameservers?
On Wheezy, and everything back to Sarge, you put them in /etc/resolv.conf, delete/disable resovlconf (if any), and quit worrying about ham-fisted software scribbling all over your config file.

On my laptop, there's a static nameserver address used by eth0. wlan0 uses that too, when it can. But, IIRC, it's smart enough to go looking around if the local network is gone.

If you set up your network interface in '/etc/network/interfaces' resolvconf should pick up the nameserver settings from the 'dns-nameservers' line of the config and you can stop worrying about ham-fisted software
scribbling over your settings.

That *is* the reason resolvconf was created. :-)

By default network manager should see that an interface is set up in the interfaces file and not mess with it.
There is an option to override that behavior.

Have not tried setting an interface for DHCP with static DNS using a 'dns-nameservers' line in case you want to use Google DNS server, OpenDNS, or some other public DNS server when you are on the road. But you can use
dhclient for that if you need to, have not personally tried that either.

Later, Seeker