Re: a little jessie whinage

On Oct 11, 2015, at 10:45 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> I thought the OP was about a laptop.

It was. I put Jessie on my laptop to see what it was like. It's running Wheezy now. And all my troubles with Jessie are gone.

> How do you set a static address
> for nameservers?

On Wheezy, and everything back to Sarge, you put them in /etc/resolv.conf, delete/disable resovlconf (if any), and quit worrying about ham-fisted software scribbling all over your config file.

On my laptop, there's a static nameserver address used by eth0. wlan0 uses that too, when it can. But, IIRC, it's smart enough to go looking around if the local network is gone.

> Or do you never take it anywhere?

Not very often. But it's scheduled for an outing tomorrow morning. I can check wlan0's roaming abilities then. If it hits an alien DHCP server, it may scribble all over my resolv.conf. We'll see.

--
Glenn English