Re: make system boot straight to browser connection

Brian writes:

> On Fri 09 Oct 2015 at 17:18:28 -0400, James Richardson wrote:
>
>> Brian writes:

>> > Yes. You've repeated what I quoted from 'apt-cache show' without adding
>> > why changing one's init system to get a simple thing like autologin is
>> > at all beneficial to most users.
>> >
>> Runit does not require one change one's init system. That is why is
>> states it can run under sysv init ****OR**** replace the init system.
>>
>> Simply installing runit does not replace the init system.
>
> Correct. So how does simply installing it allow an autologin to X?
>
> As a matter of interest. From runit(8):
>
>   DESCRIPTION
>          runit must be run as Unix process no 1.
>
>   root@jessie:~# runit
>   - runit: fatal: must be run as process no 1.

Well, one has to configure it.

In /etc/inittab add a line like

SV:123456:respawn:/usr/sbin/runsvdir-start

then create a run script for firefox (.e.g /etc/sv/firefox/run)

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/firefox

then create a symlink fro /etc/sv/firefox to /etc/service

more info is at http://smarden.org/runit/.
--
James Richardson
http://jamestechnotes.com