apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs (was ... Re: Can't reinstall all Jessie packages.)

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 09:38:39PM -0400, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:

> Ah, nice catch... "--reinstall". I've used that *in desperate moments*
> of things not gelling together. I never had problems with it, but I
> can't say that I ever used it on apt.

Another one I've seen recently is:

apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs

So, e.g. to make upgrading easier:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs
apt-get dist-upgrade

It allows a finer control on the upgrade process, and therefore, IMHO,
less chance for something to go wrong, but on the chance that something
does go wrong the error message should be a lot clearer and not
surrounded by spam.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X