Re: make system boot straight to browser connection

Brian wrote:
On Fri 09 Oct 2015 at 13:50:07 -0400, James Richardson wrote:

Richard Owlett writes:

[resend, had not appeared in archives after 2 hours]

How to do an autologin? In a DE independent way?

http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=autologin&apropos=1
gave no relevant links.

A Google search gave only decade old or DE related links.

I currently use Mate, but exploring other desktops(avoiding Gnome
3!!!;}.
I'd like something similar to autoexec.bat from DOS/CPM days.
I've used runit for such things successfully, most recently for starting
kodi at startup on my HTPC.
apt-cache show runit has as part of its output:

  runit service supervision can run under sysv init or replace the init
  system completely.  Complete init replacement requires some manual
  configuration described in the supplied documentation.

So the standard systemd init system needs replacing to get autologin in
a DE independent way? Technically you might be correct but are you
serious? It doesn't seem very elegant.

With sysvinit, all you need to do is drop a line or two into /etc/init.d/rc.local - to set up the environment, su to the appropriate user, then start a browser. What's the big deal?

Miles Fidelman