Re: googleearth-package (jessie)

On Saturday 03 October 2015 20:21:55 rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> On Sat, October 3, 2015 2:06 pm, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Saturday 03 October 2015 19:50:18 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >> Do we actually know that the OP uses Gnome?
> >> That all future readers of the archives will use Gnome?
> >
> > I was forgetting that several other desktops
> > use Gnome applications.  But I still maintain that a CLI answer to a CLI
> > question is worth having in the archives.
>
> Perhaps I missed something, but
>
> (1) is gdebi a Gnome package? and

Curt said it was:  Simple tool to install deb files - GNOME GUI

> (2) what is not CLI about the command:

Nothing.  I stand corrected.  But almost all references to it, including
aptitude show and its name, refer to its graphical user interface.

> Simple tool to install deb files - **GNOME GUI**

>     ~/Downloads # gdebi gnome-earth-stable_current_i386.deb

I also thought that the package you were trying to install was
called "googleearth".  It says so in the subject line.  Ah!  A search
suggests that you did actually mean googleearth not gnome-earth.

"gdebi is a simple tool to install deb files. It lets you install local deb
packages resolving and installing. its dependencies. apt does the same, but
only for remote (http, ftp) located package repositories. It has a graphical
user interface but can also be used in your terminal."

I had not gathered the last few words.  It is obviously a very useful tool.
But it raises another question.  Why is it called "GNOME GUI", which it does
seem to be consistently, if it is neither a Gnome tool nor a GUI one??

I've only just gravitated to apt-get -f install.  I obviously need to
gravitate to gdebi.

Lisi