Re: googleearth-package (jessie)

On 2015-10-03 at 16:56, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> "gdebi is a simple tool to install deb files. It lets you install local deb
> packages resolving and installing. its dependencies. apt does the same, but
> only for remote (http, ftp) located package repositories. It has a graphical
> user interface but can also be used in your terminal."
>
> I had not gathered the last few words.  It is obviously a very useful tool.
> But it raises another question.  Why is it called "GNOME GUI", which it does
> seem to be consistently, if it is neither a Gnome tool nor a GUI one??

There are three relevant packages here:

$ apt-cache search gdebi | grep gdebi
gdebi - simple tool to view and install deb files - GNOME GUI
gdebi-core - simple tool to install deb files
gdebi-kde - simple tool to install deb files - KDE GUI

The CLI to gdebi is in the gdebi-core package. There are two GUIs
available, which are in separate packages, which are labeled
appropriately.

It would probably be more appropriate if the three packages were named
'gdebi-gnome', 'gdebi-cli', and 'gdebi-kde', respectively, with the
unadorned 'gdebi' being either a metapackage or a virtual package. (And
possibly with a separate 'gdebi-core' or 'gdebi-common' package for the
shared elements, which are currently in the same package as the CLI.)

The maintainer has not chosen to do it that way, however, and the
current approach does make some amount of sense.

--
   The Wanderer