Re: Deleting i386 packages

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 02:25:20PM +0100, Martin Read wrote:
> On 22/09/15 13:38, Reco wrote:
> >1) Users of non-free software (especially users of non-free wine-embedded
> >software) should suffer anyway.
>
> It speaks ill of you that you cite this as a reason for not offering
> cautionary advice to users of proprietary software.

Probably. Still, if OP wishes to purify his amd64 installation by
removing unneeded i386 parts by clearly expressing his wish to do so (in
the e-mail), it seems rude to assume that those i386 parts were serving
as a mere compatibility shim to some proprietary blob.

Using i386 packages on amd64 install is not limited by this usecase.

> If such people *do* in fact deserve suffering, I submit that their use of
> proprietary software will provide all the suffering they deserve, and that
> their suffering need not be compounded by the behaviour of advocates for
> libre software.

Call it 'raising the awareness' then. Or 'zero tolerance policy'. Or
whatever newspeak term they invented for this.

Using proprietary software is not normal. It's dangerous. It limits
one's freedom. And IMO it definitely should not be encouraged on
*Debian* user maillist.

Reco