Re: How to Boot with LVM

ray a écrit :
> I have only been able to boot the HDD instance.  When I navigate to
> the SSD instance, nothing is there.

Sorry, I should have mentionned that I never used rEFInd (fortunately
never needed it) and don't know how it works and what it looks like.
Could you describe what it displays step by step ?

I was confused because you wrote in a previous post :

> sda, sdb 32GB + 32GB, RAID0 - md0, LVM, GParted shows 1MB reserved, 1 GB (EFI)
> sdc, sdd 64GB + 64GB, RAID0- md1, md127, LVM, GParted shows 1MB reserved, 1 GB (EFI)
> sde, sdf 120GB + 120GB, RAID0- md0, md126 LVM, GParted shows 1MB reserved, 1 GB (EFI)
> sdg, sdh are 2 and 4 GB HD, sdg currently hosts debian8.+q++q

So it looks like some device names changed.

>>> root@mc:/boot/efi/EFI# grub-install /dev/sdf
>>> Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
>>> Installation finished. No error reported.
>>
>> The device name is not used by grub-install with an EFI target.
>> You could have tried to use the option --boot-loader-id I mentioned in
>> a previous post.
>
> Which device name is not used by grub-install?

Whatever you type as the device name in the command line, /dev/sdf  here.

> I did not find a way to use --boot-loader-id.  I googled this exact
phrase and did not find anything but this posting.  How do I use it?

> I did not find a way to use --boot-loader-id.  I googled this exact
> phrase and did not find anything but this posting.  How do I use it?

It is describonned in grub-install manpage. Just type "man grub-install"
in the command line to read it.

>>> root@mc:/boot/efi/EFI# file /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi
>>> /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi: PE32+ executable (EFI application) x86-64 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows
>>> root@mc:/boot/efi/EFI# efibootmgr --verbose | grep debian
>>> Boot0000* debian    HD(1,GPT,87471e98-b814-4aa9-b2bc-ea4669c75565,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\debian\grubx64.efi)
>> Looks as expected. You can check with blkid which partition has
>> PARTUUID=87471e98-b814-4aa9-b2bc-ea4669c75565. If you wonder about the
>> formard / in the boot entry pathname, that's because the UEFI uses
>> MS-style path.
> blkid shows PARTUUID=87471e98-b814-4aa9-b2bc-ea4669c75565 to be /dev/sdf1.

This is consistent with /dev/sdf1 being mounted on /boot/efi.

>>> A baffling point:  In rEFInd the path is /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi
>> How is it baffling ? The EFI system partition is mounted on /boot/efi
>> and the path relative to the partition filesystem root is
>> /EFI/debian/grubx64.efi. The EFI firmware does not care about where you
>> mount the EFI system partition.
>
> Baffling:  Viewing with rEFInd, I see /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi

What do you mean by "viewing with rEFInd" ? AFAIK, rEFInd is just a boot
loader, and pathnames such as /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi are used
only in a running system after the kernel takes over.

>>> After booting up into the HDD instance, I get:
>> Booting how ? On its own or from rEFInd ?
> This is after booting on its own.

Whether you boot the HDD Debian instance from rEFInd, the GRUB EFI
installed on HDD or any other boot loader should not make any difference
in the mounted filesystems...

>> What's mounted on /boot/efi ?
> I am not sure what it means 'what's mounted on ...'.

If "mount" or "df" show a line with /dev/sdf1 and /boot/efi, it means
that /dev/sdf1 is mounted on /boot/efi.

> #mount | grep boot returns empty
> #mount | grep efi returns efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars (...)

Looks like nothing is mounted on /boot/efi, explaining why it looks
empty. But we have yet to explain why nothing is mounted.
Can you check the contents of /etc/fstab ?

> root@md:/home/rayj# df -h /boot/
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sdf2       1.4T  4.2G  1.3T   1% /

Irrelevant. We are interested in /boot/efi, not /boot.

> OK, a little more reading tells me /dev/sdf2 is mounted on /boot

No, it is the root filesystem, mounted on /. There is no separate /boot.