Re: BIOS size limit for USB flash drives

On 08/09/15 14:09, Darac Marjal wrote:
Just as a point of interest, I understand that most BIOS limits are
limits in the ATA command set (that is, PATA and SATA drives experience
these issues).

Looking at http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/2tib-disc-limit.html I see that there are two distinct 2 TiB limits, both of which are *PC software* constraints: the MBR-style partition table (which uses 32-bit sector addresses and counts) and the BIOS parameter block mechanism for describing volumes.

Cross-referencing with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_block_addressing I see that the interface-based limit for [PS]ATA disks is much, much larger; the size limit for LBA48 (the current scheme used for logical block addressing on these disks under the now-12-years-old ATA-6 standard) is 128 PiB.