Re: Okay, that's too much now!

Even so, there are other Linux distros that still support traditional UNIX init. Slackware comes to mind, though it does not use the traditional System V startup script mechanism, but apparently one based on old fashioned BSD, and I would be surprised if Slackware and its derivatives were the only currently maintained examples.

In any case, the source code is freely available, allowing anyone(s) with the time and know-how to abolish SystemD and put SysVInit back in place. The old engineering maxim of "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" still holds; it takes work to go against the grain, as I'm sure nearly all Linux users are aware.

Personally, while I think the tools available for configuring SystemD leave much to be desired (no, I'm not volunteering to write better ones; my job keeps me plenty busy as it is), and I think SysVInit scripts are a lot more readable than SystemD files; I am slowly coming to grips with SystemD and I'm sure I will be come more proficient with it as time goes on (but systemadm in its present form is still almost useless; systemctl is much better).

John L. Ries              |
Salford Systems           |
Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |
or     (435)867-8885      |