Re: Doing Dist-Upgrade or Such

> David Baron a écrit :
> > Now that the g++ business is largely behind us, want to start upgrading.
> > Problem is that with that darned partitioning by the Debian installation,
> > there is not enough room on /var to accomplish upgrade of such size.
>
> Too bad you did trust the Debian installer instead of using LVM and
> leaving some space available for future needs. Worth thinking about for
> your next installation.

What was presented for LVM did not look any better. Used LVM quite happily on
getting data out can be problematic.

> > What can be done about this?
> >
> > Note that to get an /opt, I bind this to a directory on my over-sized
> > home.
> > Same for /usr/local!
> > These need not be mounted at boot or before home gets mounted so all this
> > kludge is well-behaved and transparent.
>
> You can bind|link|whatever /var/cache/apt/archive to a filesystem with
> enough free space.

Running it this way right now, seems OK. Question: Is this directory needed at
boot, i.e., before home is mounted (why I did not try this first off)??

If it does, can put it back when done. If OK, leave it this way.