Re: upgrade stable to testing or upgrading testing - very bad situation of the repository!

On Sun, 06 Sep 2015 11:08:40 -0400
The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 2015-09-06 at 10:58, Hans wrote:
>
> > Hello list,
> >
> > at the moment it looks like the repository is rather broken. If you
> > want do an upgrade or change from stable to testing, or if you want
> > to upgrade testing, be very carefully. Otherwise you might break
> > your system!
>
> <snip massive console dump, apparently in German>
>
> > It looks for me, the whole testing repository has broken and buggy
> > dependencies. If you want to try unstable instead: DON`T DO IT!
> > Unstable is much worse using aptitude: It wants to deinstall lots
> > and lots of applications related to kde4-libs.
>
> I'd guess that this would be due to the GCC-5 transition, which was
> announced yesterday on debian-devel to be taking place that evening:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/09/msg00146.html
>
> It would be a good idea to refrain from upgrading (or upgrading to)
> testing until this shakes out. It's likely to be at least a few days,
> but might not be more than a week or so, unless you need certain
> specific packages.

I suspect it will be more than a few days. Unstable has been disrupted
for weeks, and aptitude full-upgrade still shrugs and says 'I can't do
it, do you want to have a try?' There are more than 150 packages stuck
at the moment, on a system with just over 4000 installed.

Apt-get dist-upgrade wants to pull about seventy packages, but some are
libraries which will be replaced by new versions. Gimp and
gnome-mplayer are in the list, which I'm not willing to give up yet. If
I get bored, I might mess around with synaptic to see if I can upgrade
a few, but clearly there is still significant trouble.

OK, I've got it down to 120 packages stuck, almost all KDE and
libreoffice, but with another small logjam around aptitude and
synaptic. I did hit a small jackpot, upgrading one minor package which
brought more than a dozen other packages with it, packages which
themselves wouldn't upgrade without a lot of grief. I have in the past
fixed logjams of twenty or thirty packages simply by doing the upgrades
in the correct order, a level of complexity beyond aptitude, but this
lot isn't going to go so easily. Things are improving, about a week ago
there were more than two hundred stuck, and as you say, all the
compiler-related stuff has cleared.

--
Joe