Re: upgrade stable to testing or upgrading testing - very bad situation of the repository!

On 2015-09-06 at 10:58, Hans wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> at the moment it looks like the repository is rather broken. If you
> want do an upgrade or change from stable to testing, or if you want
> to upgrade testing, be very carefully. Otherwise you might break your
> system!

<snip massive console dump, apparently in German>

> It looks for me, the whole testing repository has broken and buggy
> dependencies. If you want to try unstable instead: DON`T DO IT!
> Unstable is much worse using aptitude: It wants to deinstall lots
> and lots of applications related to kde4-libs.

I'd guess that this would be due to the GCC-5 transition, which was
announced yesterday on debian-devel to be taking place that evening:

It would be a good idea to refrain from upgrading (or upgrading to)
testing until this shakes out. It's likely to be at least a few days,
but might not be more than a week or so, unless you need certain
specific packages.

I normally dist-upgrade against testing every two or three days (except
during a release freeze, where I let it slip to every week or two), but
right now, I plan to hold off for a week or until I hear further news.

--
   The Wanderer