Re: get software list of one software repository

Quoting (mudongliangabcd@hotmail.com):
> > Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 10:21:13 +0100
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Re: get software list of one software repository
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 10:32:35PM +0800, mudongliang wrote:
> > > Hello everyone :
> > >     There are some software repositories on my computer.
> > >     For example , google chrome software repository
> > >         deb [1]http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
> > >     I also add ubuntu partner in my computer.
> > >     What I want to ask is how to get software list of someone software
> > > repository through command line!
> > >     I can get this information through synaptic graphics.
> > >     But I don't know how to do it in command line.

I think you know the tool to use because you've already quoted its use
in your posting here:

> > Assuming that you have aptitude installed, try the following:
> >
> > Start by running "grep Origin: /var/lib/apt/lists/*Release" to see where
> > your packages from from. Origin will be "Debian" for official debian
> > packages, "Canonical" for official ubuntu packages, etc.
> >
> > Next, run "aptitude search '?origin(Debian)'" (replacing Debian with any
> > of the Origins listed above.
> >
> > If you need to narrow it down further (for example, you want to list
> > only unstable packages from Debian), then you can try something like
> > "aptitude search '(!~Atesting ~Aunstable ?origin(Debian))'".
> >
> I think you may mistaken my request.

Easily done. I took "someone software" to mean that you wanted to know
the software available to someone's computer given their sources list
("software repositories on my computer"), when I posted this 24 hours ago:

> I want the reverse information.
> For example, the software list of debian testing main software repository is
> needed.
> I don't need in which software repository a software is located.

You're obviously familiar with the Debian website:

On that page, the very next link is "dists/". Follow this chain:

dists/testing/main/binary-i386/

and you will see Packages.gz and Packages.xz which are the same file
compressed in two different manners. Use wget to download either.

The structure of the Debian archive is well documented. I assume that
if you were intent on downloading README.mirrors.txt, you're probably
more conversant with it than I am, so you ought to be able to find the
other parts that make up testing on your own.

If you're absolutely desparate to do all this from the command line
without the use of a browser, then use ftp to navigate the site.
Login as "anonymous" and use your email address as the password.
You can download in ftp itself, or still use wget once you know where
the files you want are located.

Good luck.

Cheers,
David.