Re: get software list of one software repository

On 9/3/15, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> If you mean "what packages does someone have access to", then you need
> to look at the contents of their /var/lib/apt/lists/ which is
> maintained by apt-get update. You might also want to look at apt-cache.

As an example of David's suggestion, mine based on my repository
*_CHOICE_* is located at:

/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_binary-amd64_Packages

The word "Packages" was my hint that that should be what would be found inside.

Just for kicks, I ran Lisi's suggested "cat" command on the file.
OUCH, MY EYES! MAJOR flicker rate warning goes with if anyone else
tries it.......

As to how to get what you need from that via terminal, that's out of
my jurisdiction. I've always had alternative ways to get that kind of
information so I've just never stopped long enough to self-teach on
that method.... *bucket list*

Good luck!

Cindy :)

PS An aside to the question, there was something on this topic couple
days ago. That file of mine up above is exactly one of what I was
mentioning I've seen change during the "apt-get update" command. Some
of the partial files that download during my package manager updates
interact with that file by deleting some PARTIAL information and
replacing that with the newest and improved based on developers'
ongoing work for Debian. Very cool. It's one of the things that still
amazes and intrigues me about computers and how they work, not to
mention the individuals who ever figured out all this shtuff in the
first place. :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs... outside because she's overdue to start daily chores *