Re: /var/lib/apt/lists/partial fills entire partition [SOLVED]

On 01/09/15 17:47, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> On 01/09/15 16:43, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
>> On 9/1/15, Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de> wrote:
>>> * Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> [2015-09-01 14:17 +0200]:

>>> Try
>>>
>>> # apt-get clean
>>>
>>> From apt-get(8):
>>>
>>> clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. It
>>> removes everything but the lock file from /var/cache/apt/archives/ and
>>> /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/.
>>>
>>> So after an apt-get update /var/lib/apt/lists/partial should be
>>> recharged at least to zero size.
>>

>> Let us know if it starts filling back up again. I'd already started an
>> answer and had to run outside and... put the trash can on the curb.
>> Part of that answer was to say that location is where at least apt
>> (via apt-get update) temporarily stores "partial" files as its
>> downloading updates from our *_CHOICE_* of repositories. If partial
>> continues magically self-propagating and not emptying, obviously
>> something needs dissected/triggered/toggled off if it's not you
>> manually, consciously performing related [functions] that would result
>> in that activity.
>>
>> If you use something other than apt (apt-get) to update your software,
>> do they offer the option to update automatically? Maybe that's toggled
>> on?
>>
>> I'm just... looking at your output there and comparing it to mine.
>> Your partial for this one, e.g.:
>>
>> 4584913 Sep  1 13:58
>> ftp.uk.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_main_i18n_Translation-en.bz2
>>
>> You're talking about a zip file that got hung up there for some
>> reason. Maybe it's not completely downloaded so then you have to track
>> down why...
>>
>> Or maybe the system's not finishing the transaction after a successful
>> download for some reason?
>>
>> In my case, I've actually sat here and watched it run live. Those
>> partials *APPEAR* to become what's in the next step up, the parent
>> directory, /var/lib/apt/lists.
>>
>> So the question is potentially two-fold. Why is there SO MUCH of that
>> activity if user is NOT manually/knowingly generating it.... and/or
>> why is the process not completing successfully if it's a legitimately
>> approved auto-update?
>>
>> Speaking firsthand, one way it MIGHT happen is if someone is on
>> something like dialup or alternately if they only access the Internet
>> sporadically (i.e. disconnect unexpectedly throughout the day). Those
>> update related downloads would get interrupted, and that MIGHT be one
>> cause for what's showing in OP's partial directory.
>>
>> My take on this is coming from firsthand experience rather than
>> knowing how Debian technically works. I've seen something like OP's
>> directory happen on my system but can't remember the exact
>> circumstances now. In my case of being on dialup, the appearance has
>> occasionally been that a repository's server has cut updates off
> [...]

For the sake of the archives, here is the latest situation.

Having not had the /var partition fill for several days, I re-enables
jeaaie-backports in my sources.list, and ran apt-get update. No errors,
and no entries in /var/lib/apt/lists/partial. So, I guess it was the
mirror at ftp.uk.debian.org that was broken, and it's now been fixed.

Is there anywhere I can look to confirm this?

cheers,

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |