Re: /var/lib/apt/lists/partial fills entire partition

* Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> [2015-09-01 14:17 +0200]:

> On this jessie box I have started to see /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
> gradually filling the entire 2.7 GiB /var partition with hundreds of
> smallish files. Google show some results for a similar, but not
> identical problem for Ubuntu but I can't find anything matching this.
>
> This problem has developed over the last few days.
>
> A partial directory listing is attached (to circumvent wrapping).
>
> Can anyone suggest a remedy to this problem, please?

Try

# apt-get clean

From apt-get(8):

clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. It
removes everything but the lock file from /var/cache/apt/archives/ and
/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/.

So after an apt-get update /var/lib/apt/lists/partial should be
recharged at least to zero size.

Elimar

--
 Learned men are the cisterns of knowledge,
  not the fountainheads ;-)