hw-detect/start_pcmcia=false on debian-installer cmdline causes segfault and loop

I started to file the following after trying unsuccessfully to get reportbug
(6.6.3) to install on openSUSE. I had no luck finding instructions on filing
a bug against the installer or its version. Neither did searching for an
existing bug get me anywhere. Any suggestions on whether or how to proceed
with this? I don't often install Debian, maybe a half dozen times in the past
decade, and can't recall ever having occasion to file a bug against it.