Re: Another system management tool to disappear.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 1:39 PM, T.J. Duchene <t.j.duchene@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 10:49 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>> That's easy for you to say, since you are obviously a programmer. The rest
>> of us may never have programmed anything, and C just looks like some foreign
>> language --which it is!
>

> That's very true, Doug. I have nothing but sympathy for the non-programmer,
> honestly.  You are basically at the mercy of people like myself, and I am
> honestly sorry that that is the case.  I wish it did not require a special
> skill set.  In our defense, however, we have worked long and hard in our
> craft as you have in yours.

Actually, there's a couple or three questions going begging here, that
I'd like to ask:

(1) TJ, have you ever built LFS? Or, even better, built a running OS
on top of the Linux kernel without even the help of the LFS tutorial
and tool set?

(1a) If you have, have you ever implemented your own init system for a
Linux-based OS that you built yourself?

(2) Having done that much, have you ever kept that system maintained
and updated, even at just the level of keeping only the critical
applications patched or updated against vulnerabilities on a timely
basis?

Okay, there's actually one more question here:

(3) Have you ever done the first two while holding down a full-time,
40+ hour a week job that doesn't particularly make allowances for
employees that need to spend the time necessary for maintaining their
OS? If you have, how long did you keep it up without developing
personality issues for lack of sleep, developing dysfunctional
digestion problems like ulcers and diabetes, and/or ending up breaking
up your family?

Answer honestly.

(There is a reason that people get together to make distributions, you know.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html