Re: Another system management tool to disappear.

On 08/28/2015 04:45 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Friday 28 August 2015 16:16:11 Renaud  OLGIATI wrote:
Systemd-Linux to get rid of su:

https://tlhp.cf/lennart-poettering-su/

Is this a trend to make _all_ the GNU-Linux tools disappear, and have
_everything_ incorporated into systemd ?
How come that Lennart Poettering is so powerful/important?  "He's just this
guy."

But he says something will/must happen, and we all jump to. :-?

Lisi

He isn't, Lisi. =)

If I might offer an opinion at the risk of feeding the trolls, some people just

have a bad reaction to systemd in general, claiming that it is "absorbing"

everything in sight. This is not entirely inaccurate, but it is certainly not

true either. Reality is, as always, somewhere in the middle. People have

made many claims about systemd's "monolithic design" that I find rather odd,

when they have no problem with the Linux kernel for using the same techniques:

linking binary modules. They had to find someone to blame for the "systemd

problem", so they selected Lennart Poettering because he is the one of the

team who helped create systemd. He is also a most vocal critic of traditional

UNIX, which makes him the easiest target.

The reality of the situation is that "su" is part of the POSIX standard,

period. The POSIX standard keeps the various UNIXs: Linux, FreeBSD, etc

compatible enough to share code. No matter what Mr. Poettering thinks or

does, or even if systemd offers an alternative - "su" is not going anywhere.

That is the reason that "su" is installed on Debian by default, even if you

use "sudo."

T.J.