Re: Adapter Names on Stretch [OT]

On Sunday 30 August 2015 14:50:54 David Wright wrote:

> Quoting Gene Heskett (gheskett@wdtv.com):
> > You may well be correct, but to my grandfather they were loaned.  I
> > do know that when they left, each was equipt with a good sturdy
> > tag/label bareing the owners name & address, well sealed against the
> > elements.
> >
> > I would suspect that the possibility of a little history rewriting
> > may have been done over the last 70 years to lesson the language
> > from "loan" to "gift".  Recall as always, that the history of a war
> > is written by the winners.
>
> That's difficult to do with contemporary newspaper appeals:
>
> https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19401112&id=vDFSAAAAIBA
>J&sjid=EjYNAAAAIBAJ&pg=3629,1766022&hl=en
>
> https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19401208&id=mChWAAAAIB
>AJ&sjid=CuQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6924,2616059&hl=en

Both of those are seriously close to the bottom of the pile in what we
call the morgue.  And while it might be possible to do some bit tweeking
to clean up a blind offset plate, it would sure be a thankless job to
rewrite those now digital images.

And its dates (Dec 1940 etc) mean that I was just barely 6 years old, so
I obviously never had a chance to see those articals first hand.  So I
guess maybe my grandfather may have said what he wished would happen.
That would have to be a tad out of character for him IMO ubless he was
horse trading. He rarely came back from town driving the same team he
left with.

One thing he did pass down thru his 2nd daughter, to me, is a decent IQ.
That daughter, my mother, was the only girl in the class on aviation
technology at Des Moines Technical High School, in 1929. When a little
boy asked a question, if she did not know the answer, she did know where
the library was, so I was reading high school physics books by the time
we moved to town to work loading ammo during WW-II. ISTR that was early
in '42.

> (The latter pops up one column to the right of the story's start.)

Thank you for digging that up.  It does I believe, lay that story to
rest.

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett