Re: Adapter Names on Stretch [OT]

Quoting Gene Heskett (gheskett@wdtv.com):

> You may well be correct, but to my grandfather they were loaned.  I do
> know that when they left, each was equipt with a good sturdy tag/label
> bareing the owners name & address, well sealed against the elements.
>
> I would suspect that the possibility of a little history rewriting may
> have been done over the last 70 years to lesson the language from "loan"
> to "gift".  Recall as always, that the history of a war is written by
> the winners.

That's difficult to do with contemporary newspaper appeals:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19401112&id=vDFSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=EjYNAAAAIBAJ&pg=3629,1766022&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19401208&id=mChWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=CuQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6924,2616059&hl=en

(The latter pops up one column to the right of the story's start.)

Cheers,
David.