Re: Adapter Names on Stretch [OT]

On Sunday 30 August 2015 00:07:44 David Wright wrote:

This is quite off topic, and I probably should have just STHU.

> Quoting Gene Heskett (gheskett@wdtv.com):
> > He may have been, but it wasn't enough that he sent our "loaned"
> > guns back when the festivities were over in 1945. Instead, they were
> > all collected on a barge, taken out in the middle of the channel,
> > and shoveled overboard.
> >
> > The hunters amd sportsmen of the USA loaned the English those
> > weapons so that the english might have something to defend your land
> > with should the Germans attempt an invasion, with the understanding
> > they would be tracked, and returned to their rightfull owner when no
> > longer needed.
>
> I think the idea of tracking small arms in private hands in wartime
> Britain is a little unlikely, so I tried to follow up this story
> because I've read it here before.

You may well be correct, but to my grandfather they were loaned.  I do
know that when they left, each was equipt with a good sturdy tag/label
bareing the owners name & address, well sealed against the elements.

I would suspect that the possibility of a little history rewriting may
have been done over the last 70 years to lesson the language from "loan"
to "gift".  Recall as always, that the history of a war is written by
the winners.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)