Re: From wheezy to stretch: can't start X session when logging in from kdm

On 08/23/2015 02:16 AM, Ldten K wrote:
Hi,

Tried upgrading from wheezy to stretch, just to see how it would go. It mostly went OK though there is an issue: when trying to log in from kdm the system now complains that it's unable to start X session --- no /home/luser/.xsession file, no /home/luser/.Xsession file, no session managers, no window managers, and no terminal emulators found; aborting.

If I copy /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsession file as /home/luser/.Xsession to my home directory the system hangs instead of giving the above error.

Any ideas? Thanks

Hi,

It's a bug, https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=796098

I downloaded libkdecorations2-5_5.3.2-1_amd64.deb and
libkdecorations2private5_5.3.2-1_amd64.deb from https://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/debian/pool/main/k/kdecoration/ to my
/home/jimmy/ and installed them one at a time using 'dpkg -i
libkdecorations2-5_5.3.2-1_amd64.deb' and 'dpkg -i
libkdecorations2private5_5.3.2-1_amd64.deb' and was able to downgrade
with no problems, all other packages have been upgraded, rebooting and
login with no problem. Don't forget to pin/lock those packages so you don't accidentally upgrade them.

I hope this helps.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian - Wheezy - KDE 4.8.4 - AMD64 - EXT4 at sda1
Registered Linux User #380263