From wheezy to stretch: can't start X session when logging in from kdm

Hi,

Tried upgrading from wheezy to stretch, just to see how it would go. It mostly went OK though there is an issue: when trying to log in from kdm the system now complains that it's unable to start X session --- no /home/luser/.xsession file, no /home/luser/.Xsession file, no session managers, no window managers, and no terminal emulators found; aborting.

If I copy /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsession file as /home/luser/.Xsession to my home directory the system hangs instead of giving the above error.

Any ideas? Thanks