Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

On 08/20/2015 01:59 AM, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
Hi,

In general, one wants NO-BREAK SPACE to be displayed just like a space.

Why would I want a character that doesn't behave as a space to be displayed
as a normal space? (For example, in the shell, as in the OP's original question.)
It seems a recipe for confusion at best, and for exploits at worst.

I do not understand if you are specifically asking for the relevance of the NO-BREAK SPACE or just in the case of the console.
In general the no-break space is used in a lot of languages where a Dutch word like 's morgens consist of 2 parts that should always stay together and not have the 's on the end of one line and the morgens on the next.
The no-brake space can also be used when writing about money and I would write $ 500 and I would not want the $ to be at the end of one line and the number to be at the next line.

If you are talking about console use, indeed I would not know why I would want / need it there.

Bonno Bloksma

The expression "look like" is a bit ambiguous, as it can mean either "look *approximately* like" or "look *exactly like". Perhaps we can all agree that a non-break space should look similar to a regular space, but *not* be visually indistinguishable from it.

I can see at least one console usage for a non-break space (and there could always be other uses invented in future which we can't foresee now): If someone wants to use a CLI utility to search for, and possibly do some replacement of, an expression containing a non-break space, then of course they'd need to type the non-break space in the console. For example, if you wanted to mass-edit old (pre-non-break-space) documents to include the non-break space character, you'd probably want to run a command to replace 's morgens' with 's<non-break space>morgens' in the console.