Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

On 2015-08-11 14:22:23 +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i wrote:
> > > Mine is a US QWERTY. Two "Alt" keys, no "AltGr".
>
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > It is written "Alt" on US keyboards, and "Alt Gr" on US-International
> > and non-US keyboards.
>
> As X events mine are distinguished as Alt_L and Alt_R.
> (After all the translation stories i am not sure whether
>  this is true on all QWERTY keyboards.)

Just like you can differentiate the two Shift keys and the two
Ctrl keys.

> > You can fill a feature request for xterm to have
> > NO-BREAK SPACE displayed in some given color (a bit like what
> > Emacs does in a terminal) or in some alternative way.
>
> I guess it is a matter of font whether there is a visible glyph.

In general, one wants NO-BREAK SPACE to be displayed just like
a space. The differentiation is useful mainly in source code
and when editing, thus it must be done by the application via
configuration (actually applications running in the terminal
rather than the terminal itself).