Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

Hi,

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> It is written "Alt" on US keyboards, and "Alt Gr" on US-International
> and non-US keyboards.

As X events mine are distinguished as Alt_L and Alt_R.
(After all the translation stories i am not sure whether
 this is true on all QWERTY keyboards.)

> > With this setting, Alt+Spacebar does nothing visible. It emits
> > the two bytes ESC and SPACE now. Many other Alt+keys cause beeps.

> All of them should send ESC + the character (e.g. ESC a for Alt+a).

Yes they do. But there seems to be no meaning defined yet
in my xterm applications. The eight bit characters have the
advantage of yielding a visible result - except Alt+Spacebar
which i now have overridden.

> this allows one to do
> various things depending on the key bindings of the shell.

I will hopefully remember this thread if i find a reason
to do such bindings.

> You can fill a feature request for xterm to have
> NO-BREAK SPACE displayed in some given color (a bit like what
> Emacs does in a terminal) or in some alternative way.

I guess it is a matter of font whether there is a visible glyph.

Googling reveils that there exist at least 20 different space
characters.
  https://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/spaces.html
Their purpose is to be invisible in various different ways.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas