Re: Login failure after new install

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 14:29:56 -0400 (EDT), Cobra <mach1@xmission.com> wrote:

> The whole problem is that I have not received ANY mail in response
> to my original post.  Because my original post included my return
> email address I expected the responses would be mailed to me.  When
> none arrived by the end of the day I checked the web page:
>
>    lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/08/threads.html
>
> and found replies had been posted.  I check to see if my ISPs spam filter
> was overzealously quarantining the replies.  It was not.  With no mail message
> to reply to I proceeded to interact via the web page with the obvious
> problematic results.

Debian mailing list policy is for replies to be posted to the list only,
without a CC to the OP (original poster), unless the OP explicitly asks
for a CC.  Since you've complained about not receiving e-mails, I'll
interpret that as an implicit request for a CC.  But just this once.

Many people read the list via the web and don't want e-mails.  If you want
e-mails, you should subscribe to the list.  When you reply to an e-mail from
the list, you should change the "Reply-To" address to the list address,
if your e-mail client doesn't do that for you, before you send it.  Please
read this:

especially the section entitled "Code of Conduct".  A couple of points from
the "Code of Conduct" are excerpted here:

   * When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon copy
     (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be copied.

   * If you send messages to lists to which you are not subscribed,
     always note that fact in the body of your message.

Also, though the code of conduct does not specifically require it, we prefer
the usenet style of interleaved quoting here, not top-posting.  (I haven't
seen you top post yet, but I'm just letting you know since you're new.)

Regards,

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :