Re: Login failure after new install

On Sunday 09 August 2015 13:52:05 Cobra wrote:

> I realize my interaction with the list is problematic. I am new to
> this, I don’t subscribe to the list itself, and I am interacting via
> the web page

That is your first mistake. You do not have total control over the
formatting of the message, and I have yet to consciously note that any
webmail app I have ever tangled with even pretended to do threading
correctly.  I still avoid them like the plague, a decade & change after
they convinced all the winders folks that it was somehow the cats meow.

>    lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/08/threads.html
>
> On that page there are only three choices I can see for replying, none
> of which have the desired effect of adding the reply to the message
> thread as I would wish.
>
> Relative to the actual problem I have, my point is that I am doing a
> fairly vanilla install that leads to an non-functional system. I did
> not “leave out” anything that the install wanted to include; I only
> “added” GNOME as an optional desktop.

As other have said, Gnome3 seems to be the default for Jesse.  I've not
made that jump from wheezy yet as I prefer to let the infant mortalities
to abate, I like a system that JUst Works(TM).

> I have tried several test installs on a different machine using
> various desktop options. KDE worked and let me login after the reboot
> but, it did have problems with the cursor being inverted and offset
> from the active pointer location making it very hard to work with.
> This cursor behavior carried over into the GUI as well. However, if
> the GUI was started from a TTY the cursor displayed properly and
> behaved normally.

Odd, but I've never paid much attention to the mouse in a tty situation
even if I could get it to work,  That used to be easy a decade+ back in
redhat 6.3 but died after fedora 3 IIRC.

> MATE worked just fine: no bizarre behavior with the DM, login works
> just fine, and the GUI works as expected. I liked the MATE desktop
> better then GNOME 3 so I re-installed the system on the original
> machine using MATE and all is well. So, from my point of view the
> original issue is moot.

So now it seems, if I am following this fractured thread correctly, you
are asking a linux oriented group, to fix Apple's WebMail? I only know
of one person I've known for nearly 3 decades who is now at Apple, and
webmail isn't something he is involved in so I won't suggest his name.

Linux, specifically Debian, problems, someone here can probably address.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)